Friday, February 15, 2013

Vegan Pancakes



I came across this great recipe online a while ago…so this morning when I couldn’t figure what to give my kids for breakfast and was out of pancakes mixture….I remember this and decided to try it…but vegan style!



The original recipe posted below called for whole milk, eggs and all-purposed flour.  I substituted the whole milk with almond milk, the eggs with one banana and the all-purpose flour with a mix of spelt and white spelt flour. 

Oh……I also substituted the hazelnut extract with Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract.  This with the banana added, really gave the pancakes a super nice flavor.
Let’s just say everyone loved it…even my hubby who is not a pancake fan.  These pancakes were soft and fluffy in texture and taste great!

This is going to be my staple recipe for making pancakes and I have to say, its way better than the natural vegan mixes I have tried and force my kids to eat.  My children never eat them out and never liked them, so with this mix it was simple to make and cheaper.

If anyone decide to try this, let me know what you thought and if you like. 


Original Pancake Mix


Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp sugar (brown or white)
  • 2 tbsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 tbsp melted butter
  • 1 tsp vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp hazelnut extract
Instructions
  1. In a bowl combine the lemon juice and milk, set aside for 15 minutes or until the milk curdles. Curdling the milk results in soft and fluffy pancakes
  2. In a different bowl sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt
  3. Wisk the egg, melted butter and hazelnut extract in a small bowl and combine with the milk mixture
  4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the milk mixture
  5. Combine gently,don't over mix. You can add berries, banana or chocolate chips
  6. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes so it will be airy and light
  7. Heat a slightly oiled griddle on low heat
  8. Pour to make round circles of desired size
  9. When the first side turns golden brown, flip with a spatula. Flip only once and don’t press down on the top
  10. Serve warm with maple syrup


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...